So, you have the perfect title. It is both endearing and filled with enhanced SEO keywords. Your book is being proofread by a freelance editor.
What’s the next step? Designing ebook cover of course!
Designing ebook cover
I have a working knowledge of photo editing and have been doing it for years now. Making a cover was something I was actually looking forward to.
I started by reading blog articles on what constitutes the best cover and had wide range of advices:
- A cover must convey the spirit of the book in one glance
- The cover must empower the title
- It must convey enough information to replace the title
Looking back now, I can’t help thinking: “what a load of crap”…
Following these rules seemed to be a bit too complicated for my non-fiction programming book. So just I looked back at some of my favorite non fiction books: Pitch Anything, The 48 laws of Power, Four Hour Work Week, The Origin of Consciousness …
They all have one thing in similar: the title is huge and fairly stands out! And that is the only rule that I followed ever since.
Designing ebook cover that gets noticed
After publishing 6 books, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the only purpose of a cover is to draw the reader’s attention while scrolling down on a website.
Still, you should make sure that the cover you order follows these basic rules:
- a BIG title in capital and thick letters. (Try fonts like Franklin Gothic Demi Cond)
- The title must be the center of attention, not your name unless you are Dan Brown or Richard Dawkins…
- The title must be readable at a 3% zoom. That is how big an ebook appears in the Amazon catalog
- The subtitle must be readable at a 8% zoom. That is how big an ebook appears when clicked upon
- The text must sharply contrast with the background (forget orange on yellow, red on orange, blue on violet, etc.)
For what it’s worth, here is a mock up version of the cover I designed for my first ebook. It encompasses everything we talked about in this post :
This post is part of part of a series of articles about how to write your first ebook:
How to write my first ebook – The idea comes first..or does it?
Defeating the blank page – How to write my first eBook
Polishing your writing – How to write my first ebook
Naming your ebook to grab attention – How to write my first ebook
KDP exclusive or Go Wide – How to write my first ebook